Archetypes
In class yesterday, I had my AP students go through the major archetype characters in literature. Then we talked about the archetype characters in the high school community as inspiration for some personal writing/reflection. I thought I would give it a shot too. Not sure how many stereotypes the adult world has, but we definitely have archetype characters.
I am a mother. I am a wife. I am a friend. I am a child. I am a sister. I am a teacher. Yet I am invisible. My children are the culmination of my love for another human being. They are love. John's calls for "mommy" are the sweet reminder that I still have a child's heart. Anna's inciteful thoughts are the deep reminder that I still have lots to learn. Do either of them know that I am those things to someone else? That I was that joy to my mother and father? My husband is the rock for my overunning river of emotions and thoughts; he slows me down whether I like it or not. Without him I would surely drown myself in my own thoughts. Does he know that I need that from him? Does he know that he needs that from me? Does he know I wonder if I'll make it without a conversation at night? My friends are my laughter. They keep me from crying when life has become too much. They remind me I am young still and can have guiltless unadulterated fun. Do they know they are my greatest insecurity? Do they know I couldn't make it without them? My mother is alone. Forever. She has always been my most honest friend. She will tell me like it is regardless of the circumstances, yet support me when I need it. My father is gone. Forever. He was my goal. He was the reason I wanted to prove myself. He was the reason I worked so hard for so long. Do they know I hurt everyday for them? Do they know I am angry for so many reasons? Do they know I still measure myself by their standards? My siblings are my competitors and companions. No matter how bad we fight or how much we hurt, we are always together. We may not see each other, but we are out there. I know that if I need something, they are there. Do they know I twinge with jealousy sometimes? Do they know I am their mediater? Do they know life would not be the same without them? My students see the professional me. I work to be positive for them. They are my future. They are my reason to get out of bed. Do they know I want to cry sometimes? Do they know I want to dissappear just like them? I am invisible because I am only a part of me to each. I only show a piece. Someday, I will be whole again. But for now, I am invisible.
I am a mother. I am a wife. I am a friend. I am a child. I am a sister. I am a teacher. Yet I am invisible. My children are the culmination of my love for another human being. They are love. John's calls for "mommy" are the sweet reminder that I still have a child's heart. Anna's inciteful thoughts are the deep reminder that I still have lots to learn. Do either of them know that I am those things to someone else? That I was that joy to my mother and father? My husband is the rock for my overunning river of emotions and thoughts; he slows me down whether I like it or not. Without him I would surely drown myself in my own thoughts. Does he know that I need that from him? Does he know that he needs that from me? Does he know I wonder if I'll make it without a conversation at night? My friends are my laughter. They keep me from crying when life has become too much. They remind me I am young still and can have guiltless unadulterated fun. Do they know they are my greatest insecurity? Do they know I couldn't make it without them? My mother is alone. Forever. She has always been my most honest friend. She will tell me like it is regardless of the circumstances, yet support me when I need it. My father is gone. Forever. He was my goal. He was the reason I wanted to prove myself. He was the reason I worked so hard for so long. Do they know I hurt everyday for them? Do they know I am angry for so many reasons? Do they know I still measure myself by their standards? My siblings are my competitors and companions. No matter how bad we fight or how much we hurt, we are always together. We may not see each other, but we are out there. I know that if I need something, they are there. Do they know I twinge with jealousy sometimes? Do they know I am their mediater? Do they know life would not be the same without them? My students see the professional me. I work to be positive for them. They are my future. They are my reason to get out of bed. Do they know I want to cry sometimes? Do they know I want to dissappear just like them? I am invisible because I am only a part of me to each. I only show a piece. Someday, I will be whole again. But for now, I am invisible.
Comments