I Will Never Forget

I can't believe I have already missed two... wait, three days in my goal to write more for me.  But I'm here now, and that's all that matters.

What did I do well?
Today, I was patient.  I was patient with kids who just wanted to vent.  Others accused me later of "telling them what they wanted to hear," but I was really just giving them the truth.  The truth as I saw it.  I was also patient with some others who made a bad choice at a horrible time that could have cost them everything.  But it didn't.  I just gave them a lecture, made them fix the error, then moved on.  I was patient.   On a less profound note, I didn't have a nervous breakdown when a spider the size of a silver dollar marched his happy butt into the hallway and sat down.  I didn't collapse.  Which is impressive.  I just calmly asked one of the gentlemen near me to please kill it.  He did.  And now I owe him.

What could I do better?
I need to stick to my guns better.  Sometimes I make decisions and then, out of my need to please those around me, I cave.  It wasn't anything serious, and truthfully, I'm probably the only who knows I caved (except Jeremy because I told him).  But I did.  I caved.  Because I am absolutely terrified of what people think of me.  I could do better at that - when I make a decision, I should stick with it.

What do I want to do?
I want to make a difference.  Yup this is still what I want to do.  Sadly, I think this conflicts with my what I could do better.  Hmmmm... Can I make a difference without sacrificing who I am?  That's the question.  I think I can - I will work towards that tomorrow.

Today, I think my musings will fuel a poem.  Let's see how it goes:


A shy new
person sits in her room
working feverishly
in an attempt to adapt
to her new life
and surroundings.

A more confident version
of that same person
sits in a nearby room
chatting with new
friends, hoping
they don't see the real
her - they
might not like her.

Still more confident,
she sits in a full
room, laughing and joking,
letting some of her
out - they seem to
have accepted her.

Relaxed and joyous,
they sit,
teasing, celebrating, unaware
of the changes
coming soon.
She feels like a friend, not
an outsider.

She is broken
one day,
and three
come to offer solace.
She feels grateful,
relieved, and hopeful.
She will never forget.

Quietly,
they sit
in a room
watching, waiting, and
anticipating what comes
next.
Big changes, but they
will survive.

With simultaneous
excitement and sadness,
two spend the day
recording their surroundings
to say goodbye
to _________.


That's all I've got tonight.. mainly because I'm stuck on stanza five.  I keep going back to that stanza.  It strikes a chord for sure.

Comments

Popular Posts