Music is a Time Machine pt. 1
One of my recent instagram posts was about a song that transported me back to my senior year of high school (It's the End of the World as We Know It by R.E.M.). Today, I struggle with a positive post because... well, honestly, because I always struggle with positivity. In an effort to focus on the positive, I will write about songs today.
"Epic" by Faith No more - junior high; I was enamored with the video to this song. I spent an entire summer watching it every time it came on MTV or VH1. That particular summer was the second summer I lived in Friendswood; my sister and I spent the summer with neighbors and truly enjoyed ourselves.
"I Like Big Butts" by Sir Mix-A-Lot - junior high; For most of my 8th grade year a friend of mine, named Caitlin, and I sat in the afternoons at my mail box singing this over and over and over and over. I cannot tell you why we continued to sing it but we did. Weird.
Use Your Illusion I and II by Guns N Roses - junior high; This one isn't such a positive memory. After I made a dumb decision between my 7th and 8th grade year, these albums were my solace. The emotions in Axle Rose's voice helped me deal with my regret and anguish. I still love these albums.
"Motown Philly" by Boyz II Men - high school; oh how I loved this song. I had a friend named Nick who talked with me on the phone for endless hours. We sang this song with each other while we talked. I'm sure that's weird, but at the time it felt right.
"American Pie" by Don McClean - high school; on most of the bus rides home from football games, we sang this song on our bus (we were nerds for sure). It was our anthem; especially, the lyrics "the marching band refused to yield." The idea that we could just not give the field back to the teams made us smile and laugh because we liked the idea of the power.
"It's the End of the World as We Know It" by R.E.M. (or any other R.E.M. song, really) - high school; I had four girls who ran around with me most of the way through high school. We went to an R.E.M. concert sophomore year and never really got over it. We listened to their songs endlessly throughout high school. It still makes me smile.
"Money (That's What I Want)" by ???? from Empire Records - high school; in addition to our obsession with R.E.M., my friends and I watched Empire Records on loop for years. I had no idea, until recently, that the song was a remake; in a search for the song, I couldn't find the version I wanted unless it was on the soundtrack.
To Be Continued...
Comments