My Family
About two weeks ago my senior English classes started our poetry unit. In my planning, I came upon a couple of metaphor poems. The poems were easy to understand, fun to read, and fairly easy to imitate, so I had my kids imitate one or the other of the two poems in reference to their own family. Since then I have been working on one for my family.
My family is a grandfather clock,
resolute in its duty
to give the world it's knowledge every half hour.
My father is the pendulum
giving pace to the family when he slows down
so do we.
My mother is the second hand
constantly moving, reminding everyone not to slow down.
My brother is the clock face
always there without distracting much, but always important.
My sister is the chime
never going without notice
always working to be heard.
And I,
I am the numbers
explaining my family to the outside world so we are not misunderstood.
My family is a grandfather clock,
resolute in its duty
to give the world it's knowledge every half hour.
My father is the pendulum
giving pace to the family when he slows down
so do we.
My mother is the second hand
constantly moving, reminding everyone not to slow down.
My brother is the clock face
always there without distracting much, but always important.
My sister is the chime
never going without notice
always working to be heard.
And I,
I am the numbers
explaining my family to the outside world so we are not misunderstood.
Comments