My Meltdowns
For as long as I can remember, I have pushed myself hard until I reach a point of no return. The ledge of my sanity.
It wasn't until about 8 years ago that I began to develop the awareness to realize where I was headed. So I ensured I was by myself at the moment I fell off into an abyss of hysteria. I have, very recently, lost the ability to properly assess when the meltdowns will appear.
Last spring, my meltdown occurred in the office of someone who I didn't know. It was completely embarrassing.
Last fall, same office with the same person. At least this time, we knew each other a little better.
On Friday, I almost lost it, for the third time, in front of the same person. (secretly, I'm beginning to wonder if this pattern is a correlation or causation) But I didn't. Phew.
Instead, I lost it in the hallway. After a hug. In front of my students. Ugh.
The weird thing about these meltdowns is that after I cry, I feel WAY better. It's like I just need to release the tension and can't any other way. I'm sure it's not healthy... it can't be.
I need to find a way to stave these things off. Or at least become more aware of their impending arrival.
Here's a haiku set on the subject (cause why not):
The ledge is coming near.
Sadly, I am unaware.
It's too late to hide.
I hold my tears and
silently run for shady
safe places to cry.
Hopefully no one
will notice the red cheeks and
lack of eye contact.
I have fallen off.
It is much too late to hide.
Maybe they won't care.
Comments