Spring Break
For most of my career, spring break has been just that - a break. My definition of a break is to sit on my lazy butt and veg out with TV and bad food. The only exception to this pattern was that one year I went to Italy with my daughter and niece, which was pretty awesome.
My children have never enjoyed my version of "break." They believe that there should be running and playing and fun. Every. Single. Day. So they whine. And I get frustrated. Then no one has a break at all because they're whiny while I'm angry. *Please note: I understand that I am not "the perfect mom"*
This year, I decided to see what would happen if I did their version of break. So we did, kind of.
What I have learned: if I keep my kids busy, we enjoy each other more. And have the break we all need. I hope to make all of our breaks like this one. It was a great time, even without extravagant trips to Italy. :)
My children have never enjoyed my version of "break." They believe that there should be running and playing and fun. Every. Single. Day. So they whine. And I get frustrated. Then no one has a break at all because they're whiny while I'm angry. *Please note: I understand that I am not "the perfect mom"*
This year, I decided to see what would happen if I did their version of break. So we did, kind of.
- Friday, the 10th - Watched Moana together at home together on the couch. This was fun. I had been itching to see the movie, and it was funny and fun. Good time.
- Saturday, the 11th - Stretch workout, toes, and Gringo's with Piper (I started to write "good friend" but then I realized she's really the only one who reads this thing, so why bother...). Another great time. I miss spending time with her - she's fun.
- Sunday, the 12th - honestly, I don't know... weird.
- Monday, the 13th - this was my version of break. I slept until 9 AM (my kids were good to me), then we got Chic-Fil-A for lunch and came home to veg on the couch and watch TV. Aaaahhh. Relaxing and fun because the children got Chic-Fil-A, and I got to veg.
- Tuesday, the 14th - this was our work day (it happens sometimes). We did laundry and cleaned the house. It ended with dinner at Gringo's with Daddy, so that was fun. This was also a good day because we accomplished something while we enjoyed each other's company.
- Wednesday, the 15th - the zoo. We left our house early in the morning, got coffee (me) and donuts (them), then arrived at the zoo before the parking opened. We waited in line (it was cold, btw) to go inside, then made it through the WHOLE zoo before 11 AM. Everyone got to see their favorite thing before leaving. On the way out, we saw Z and her mommy and a few people from my school. We had Chic-Fil-A for lunch on the way home. John and Anna played with the neighbor across the street while I went to the chiropractor to find out my spine was not in alignment (duh) and that my tailbone had been dislocated (not anymore).
- Thursday, the 16th - strawberry picking. Well, this day was almost a bust due to the rain. It was all sprinkling and icky on the way to Froberg's. Luckily, it cleared up, allowing us to pick two 2.52 lb buckets of strawberries. Then we went to Kroger's and had a play date lunch with an old friend. Once home, we cleaned up a little, and I got a nap. That evening, I made dinner and it was yummy.
- Friday, the 17th - the museum with daddy. We got up fairly early, got coffee (me again), and made it to the museum a little before it opened. Yay. We saw dinosaurs, 3D movie, planetarium, and the chemistry hall. By then the kids were done. We had Chuy's, then came home and relaxed the rest of the day (there may have been a nap).
- Saturday, the 18th - laundry. Like I said, work happens. By this time though, the children were tired of going. So they were fine with just hanging out at home while I did laundry. They shot their dad's crossbow, then hung out at home. Jeremy and I went out with friends for dinner and were home at a decent hour.
- Today - regular old Sunday. Church (for them) and coffee (this happens a lot for me), then clean the house, then lunch, then errands, then sleep.
What I have learned: if I keep my kids busy, we enjoy each other more. And have the break we all need. I hope to make all of our breaks like this one. It was a great time, even without extravagant trips to Italy. :)
Comments