Track

Take fifteen minutes and write about what kind of writing would be fun to do.

If I could write anything without hesitation it would be a novel... the idea that I could focus on one or two characters long enough to develop them appropriately is fascinating!!  I want to be able to describe the man who changes a woman's life forever in true Jimmy Stewart or Cary Grant fashion.  So not just a novel but a 1950's black and white film worthy novel.  I want to write about a dashing young man who has a beautiful young woman at his hand but doesn't know it... or does.  I want the tension in the room to be felt by the readers.  I want the love to be felt.  I want the pain to be felt.

OOooooh... a screen play would be even better.  Then the characters could come to life on stage.  That is SUCCESS!!  I want to have a phrase that is all over living rooms and coffee shops like "legend - wait for it - dairy" or "how you doin?"  Now these two men are not Cary Grant or Jimmy Stewart but Joey and Barney are still endearing characters.  That's my goal to write endearing characters that make the reader/watcher miss them when they've gone.  I want their idiosyncrasies to be why readers love them. So here goes:  my attempt at a character.

He walks across the street limping as he moves, his right leg dragging behind him.  Not because he's injured but because he hopes to be injured in the future.  This limp is his hope, his beacon of light.  The sole of his vibram shoes have been worn thin through his running on the flat, dusty terrain of Lubbock, TX.  His calves are punching in and out as he walks, the right one always stuck out a little harder and longer accentuating the discolored spot just above his ankle.  This spot is his reminder that he's an average 20 something with nothing famous... his limp is just a fake.  The limp has created a "hitch in his get-a-long" after so many years - the ball and socket joint has eroded unevenly.  On this set of uneven hips rests his running shorts, a pair of holey, frayed, red and silver basketball shorts.  he got them from his cousin, Martin, who plays basketball in Houston, TX.  Martin's limp is real - he knows what pain is truly like.  Martin stepped wrong during the first few minutes of the last game of his first season at CBHS as a freshman - his ACL tore and surgery came shortly after. Nothing huge.  But Martin has felt pain - Seth hasn't.  Seth wants to feel something.... something real. 

Comments

Popular Posts